Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Mr. Wheat

Last night we got a call that our tenant and friend John, AKA "Bucky" had been in an accident on his bike and was in critical condition. He had initially been taken to Concord Hospital, but then airlifted to Dartmouth. Not good. They had called his brother to come as they needed to have a blood relative there....they didn't know if he would last the night.

The good news is that he did. He is in ICU but that is all I know as I can't get in contact with anyone. It is making me crazy.

To know John is a unique experience. He sustained a traumatic brain injury (TBI) in an auto accident at age 22 when he was driving drunk. Talk about a consequence. He remembers who he was and all the things he used to do (he was an artist) and now he can barely scrawl his name. He is slow. Not that he has a low IQ, but that you'd better take a seat when talking to him as it will take a while for him to form his thoughts and then physically say it intelligibly. The brain injury effected his balance and also the way he learns (ie. in order to learn something he has to repeatedly practice it, not just be told what to do, or what not to do). He is "overly friendly" and can be inappropriate by today's standards. Harmless, but he definitely invades your personal space. Again, this is a result of the TBI.

Add to this that he is a NICE guy. Genuine, honest, trustworthy and will do an honest days work. He will help you however he can and loves to listen. He just wants to be loved.

We were over at the trailer today as our guys were repainting the front of it white, and suddenly I was just overwhelmed with grief. The unfairness of it....the shock of having such a serious outcome from a bike accident. It is really bothering me. Consuming me. I need to know he will be alright. I told Chad to mow the lawn, and I felt like I wanted to go get a load of mulch and spread it for him. He is a great tenant and keeps the place looking wonderful.

Chad said, "You know he may never get back here...he may have to go into residential placement." Yes, I do know that. I am just thankful he survived the night. I know it but....I can't allow it. John is not our best friend, but he has been our friend, our employee and our tenant for a long time. More than a decade. We have seen him through his highs and lows, encouraged him, coached him and laughed with him. True, he has never been over for dinner. He doesn't come to birthday parties and we don't exchange Christmas cards (although this year I might!) but the thought of him not living in "Bucky's Box" is just not acceptable. Wierd.

We love you, John....Bucky....Mr. Wheat. We're praying for you! Come home soon!

No comments: