Friday, May 15, 2009

I Wish I Was More Like Her

I am blessed. Not only is my oldest daughter smart and pretty, she is also excited about change and always ready for an adventure. Two things that I am not.
She left this afternoon for the Brownie/Girl Scout 3 day/2 night Camperee at Camp Chenoa in Antrim. She has been talking about this trip for two months. She has "practiced" packing, "practiced" falling asleep without me singing to her, and "practiced" how to get dressed in the morning with 5 other bunkmates present. So cute!
This morning as she left for school she told me that I needed to get her all packed and ready to go so that when she got off the bus this afternoon she could hit the road. I was also told that if I did not do as she said, then she would disown me and would not be my daughter anymore. She loves me. Really. It radiates from her. Yah.
So at 4:15 I drove her to the elementary school and put her bag in the leader's van, she buckled herself in and away she went without so much as a wave. She loves me. Really.
To get myself ready for the evening I went out and bought a new phone as the battery in our old one was not reliable at all. You see, she may call me tonight. Because she needs me, and she misses me, and- well, she loves me. Really.
At 8:51PM the phone rang. It was Amy's mom AKA Grandma Cote. Apparently Amy was calling to check in on her kids at home (she is at the Camperee with her daughter's troup tonight) and the only place she could get any reception was standing on a table. Could Grandma please call me and pass on a message? Of course!
Are you ready? Wait for it.......
She is having a blast. Big surprise, huh? She is sitting at the bonfire singing her heart out. She has already seen a deer, heard an owl and some coyotes (in the distance).
I am so proud of her. Seven years old and away from home for two nights. I never could have done it. Never did it. I was nervous every time I went to camp at Deering and I was in high school! That is some special girl I have there. I wish I was more like her. I love her. Really.

No comments: