Sunday, April 12, 2009

Ma Copelin

We just got a call that Jeannie's mom died this evening. She (they) have been on our minds all day. Fortunately we had the opportunity to visit with them just yesterday when we went to Newburyport to have a birthday lunch for my mother-in-law.
Ma Copelin was a single parent who raised two terrific daughters. She was active in her church and with the Deering Conference Center here in NH. Jeannie was my roommate at camp. (The one who turned all my clothes a deep purple color when she washed them with her new jeans. LOL) She was there when I met Chad.
Her reaction when I told her about this really cute guy I had met named Chad----"Chad?!? He's my brother!!" And for all intents and purposes, he was. I remember visiting her in Newburyport as a teen- my father driving me there. Ma Copelin was always sitting in her chair in the kitchen, her dogs running around her feet, a dog treat always at the ready. She had a smokers voice, although I never remember her with a cigarette. The girls would always tease Chad and she would say, "Jeannie!" and then go on about how he was her brother and she was not to talk that way to him. Jeannie would produce the appropriate eye roll, shake her head and poke him or somehow continue to needle him and Ma Copelin would always be there to his rescue. They would race to be the first to call Ma at Christmas and Chad was always on the lookout not to forget her birthday in September.
She looked so small yesterday. So tired. It was one of those bittersweet moments where you are so glad that the opportunity presented itself, yet you experience grief that she was so frail.
I find it hard to believe that we are getting old enough that our friends are starting to lose their parents. Pray that it doesn't happen in our own house for a long, long time.
We will miss you, Ma. Your spirited voice, your love of dachshunds, and the love that you showed to us over the years. We pray that you have found peace and comfort on this Easter evening and want you to know that you will forever be in our hearts. We will help to watch over your girls. We love you!

No comments: