Saturday, January 17, 2009

Icy Dread

Chad bought a scanner. One that you can tune in to the police/fire/hwy dept. etc. He got it so that he could get the scoop on what the hwy dept. is doing during a storm. He can also get NOAA at the push of a button in the truck. Anyhoo, I finished programming it to the 4 local channels and he put it on top of the tv armoir in the livingroom. NH atmosphere at its best. LOL
Last night as I was getting ready to put Rebecca to bed it squawked and the voices talked about the Washington Fire Dept needing Hillsboro tank and pumpers to assist them at a house fire. The coldest night in years and they had to fight a fire.
I walked upstairs with Rebecca and sat in the rocker cuddling with her, smelling her hair, and singing her lullabyes when off in the distance I heard the sirens.
I can't describe to you the feeling of dread that washed over me and settled in my stomach. It is going on 5 years since our fire, but a feeling of helplessness and, I don't know, despair maybe? still haunts me when I hear sirens going to a fire. I almost felt guilty to be warm and snuggly with my baby while knowing the journey that that poor family was about to embark. May God bless them and keep them safe, as he did my family.

No comments: