Friday, January 7, 2011

Memories

Both my girls were awake in the middle of the night last night...simultaneously. So I popped them both into Rebecca's bed and sat in the rocking chair and sang lullabies to them. Memories....
Sitting on that chair holding newborns in my arms. Soft skin, tiny little hands and eyes looking into mine. Rocking...rocking. A baby over my shoulder, patting a tiny little back. Rubbing their backs with my fingertips as they burrowed their heads into my shoulder, their legs tucked up under their belly. Rocking....rocking.... Thinking about what they would be like when they grew up- and then looking down at them now and realizing that they are better than I ever imagined.
Looking at them asleep side by side and noting that Rachel is so long she almost reaches from the top of the bed to the bottom. My little girl, only 18" tall when she was born. My Rebecca, 22" long at birth taking up a good portion of the bed herself. Rocking.....rocking. They are my pride and joy, my babies who look so big now. Thinking that I am glad that I will have a few more years with them safe at home with me. With mama. Thinking how lucky I am that they still want me and my lullabies in the middle of the night. That I am so blessed that it is me that they want to ease their pain...to make them feel safe and protect them from nightmares. Rocking....Rocking....it doesn't matter that it is the middle of the night, that I should be tucked into my own bed. I am enjoying the memories of my rocking chair... Lullaby and goodnight, my girls.

No comments: