Saturday, March 6, 2010

One potato, two potatoes

I took the kids down to visit with Cici yesterday. She has declined a lot in the past 10 days. Although there were still glimpses of the twinkle in her eye as she played peek-a-boo with Rebecca and looked at Ben's train book, she just wasn't herself. Her lunch came and for some weird reason they had given her both a baked potato and mashed potato. I asked her why they would do that and she replied, "One potato, two potatoes, three potatoes, four..." Throughout our visit she whispered that phrase to herself a few more times. I wondered where she had gone, what she was thinking. Was she a child herself playing that game with her friends or was she watching Sheila play the game with her friends?
I love her. She has been independent and all full of spitfire and vinegar as long as I have known her. Her family is the most important thing to her and she has never missed an opportunity to tell us so.
I am praying for you, Cici. For your continued strength, for comfort, and to find a place that keeps you smiling and your eyes twinkling. I love you!

No comments: